Considering the current technology trends, some new engineering disciplines are imminent in near future. While most of the engineering growth will be seen in the domain of computer engineering, some sub-disciplines within computer engineering are likely to emerge in near future. NASCCOM has predicted a huge wave of transformation in digital industry in coming decade. As per the reports from Forbes and AICTE, the technologies that are going play a major role in engineering are, Artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning, Internet of Things (IoT), Wearables and augmented humans, Big Data and augmented analytics, Intelligent spaces and smart places, Block chain and Distributed ledgers, Cloud and Edge Computing, Virtual and Augmented Realities, Digital platforms, Digital twins, natural language processing, 5G, genomics and gene editing, voice interfaces and chatbots, computer vision, robotic automation, drones and unmanned vehicles, cyber security, quantum computing, 3D printing, nano-materials, mass personalization and many more. These new technologies will further find applications in industries like automotive, agriculture, pharmaceutical, banking and retail, manufacturing, healthcare etc.
It is becoming clear that just technical knowledge is not going to be enough for the future engineers. Future engineering will encompass sound domain knowledge, innovativeness, management skills, societal awareness, and knowledge of policy trends. The technical skill requirement will be only 30%, the remaining 70% will cover the soft skills that include leadership, effective communication, team spirit, digital literacy, critical thinking etc. Interestingly, the soft skills are not technology dependent and therefore once the right attitude and skills are inculcated, they will remain there throughout the professional career. The main challenge will be to remain up to date with the rapidly changing technology which will be unpredictable to some extent.